Blurred background image
2 min read

A Mask

Author since 2013 10Stories 0 Followers
A Mask

Will I ever be free? Will I ever be free of this tormenting life after death? To exist as a ghost wandering around in my own despair, just longing to be put back to rest?
I remember how peaceful the long rest was. There I was, sleeping in my ancient tomb without a thought to the living. Complete solitude. I was not being a bother to anyone living.

But all of that was snatched from me, many years later. Everything I had in life, and even in death were all taken away. Gone. And I still don’t know why to this day, and I probably never will. Suddenly, the past came rushing back to me. I remembered who I was, yet still not why I was here.

I never did any ill deed in my life. I was born a human, for Christ’s sakes! Not this, this… fiend! This creature, lurking through the night and mad with anguish as I gloss over everything I have lost! This legend of campfire tales and nightmare fuel, the scary stories that small boys tell in the dark!

But all I have left is this damned mask that taunts me so. I can’t be separated from it. Everywhere I go, it trails behind me. Everywhere I turned; it would follow me like a long lost puppy.

I passed by a graveyard, Lavender Town was its name, to be exact, or at least the town name. The cemetery did not really have one that anybody knew of. There were many rumors and hoaxes surrounding it. Stories of how the dead came back from life to haunt the living. The stories of buried corpses sucking victims in, or of ghastly hands clasping around the living. The most frightening of them all being a ghost, a devil, giving its trainer immense power, just to take it away. But all I have to ask is, why?

What sick, twisted monster would torture us so?

I took out the mask, my mask…

Except it was not always a mask, it was once my face.

Hesitant, frail tears came to its eyes as I gazed upon it.

My face… was once so beautiful…

All I could do was stare at the mask, and weep silently to myself. I can never be free.

Leave a comment

43 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
IAmABear avatar
IAmABear
5 years ago

I hate how cliche this was. [spoiler]Lavender town being put in it? That is so overused and cliche. Also, yamask is in gen 5 forwards, not gen 1 or 3[/spoiler]

IAmABear avatar
IAmABear
5 years ago

I believe this was about Pokemon; [spoiler]Yamask who is holding a mask of himself.[/spoiler]

FreekyPotato avatar
FreekyPotato
6 years ago

Good story, but why tag it with “Video Games”?

FlareArrowwood avatar
FlareArrowwood
6 years ago

Poor Yamask… I will never look at them the same again. 9/10.

StephenKingFan12139 avatar

A pokemon story! Cool! very interesting. I was confused at the beginning but I get it. Scary. I like it

dew
dew
6 years ago

Its not pokemon you idiots its probsbly majora’s mask

E
Erie
7 years ago

Pretty nice story. I give 10 stars!

Toob05 avatar
Toob05
7 years ago

8.5/10, it was really good but I didn’t know what it was about until the 5th paragraph. Still love the story.

Themidnightcat avatar
Themidnightcat
7 years ago

THIS IS A POKEMAN CREEEPY PASTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh I’m sorry it’s just that a pokeman was a human once and they have their old face on their belly, a mask. Do you not like that pokeman???
Midnight out!!!!! p.s. No p.s.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crystal07 avatar
Crystal07
7 years ago

The ‘thing’ which is narrating the story sounds so much like one of my favorite pokemons, Yamask, and moreover you even mentioned Lavender Town.

MetallicaFan avatar
MetallicaFan
7 years ago

NOTHING against people who love pokemon, but i just never really got into it
2/5
Im sorry, if there was no pokemon, i would have rated higher, but this is just my opinion,
good job on the build up though!
ill change my vote to 3/5 🙂

GravelordNeato avatar
GravelordNeato
7 years ago

Here’s what I thought it could be. It could be Cubone’s mother, Marrowak, and the mask is actually her skull that the Cubone wears. Because Marrowaks’ head and therefore face are pretty much just its skull, it would still fit what was said, and it would also feed into the restlessness of the Marrowak in the actual game, and how when you beat it, it goes free, just as it desires. (it also keeps it within Kanto region, pokemon wise)

Azathoth avatar
Azathoth
7 years ago

Very well created. For such a short story, the atmosphere was nailed almost to perfection. Also, nice alteration to the Yamask pokedex entry.

Challen115 avatar
Challen115
7 years ago

I like creepypastas that only give the definition at the end.

JustAvoid avatar
JustAvoid
8 years ago

I’ll give you a 11/10! [spoiler] I Love the way you made Yamask seem so human, I was like ” Wut? HE IS FACELESS!??” AMAZING![/spoiler]

D
DarkHideki666
8 years ago

I found the twist startling.

1801leek avatar
1801leek
8 years ago

i feel like a lot of the people dont understand this. but if you actually understand the reference and think about it, its pretty eerie

FuntasticR avatar
FuntasticR
8 years ago

Good ^_^ good!

D
DaedricHero
8 years ago

A Yamask, eh? I haven’t kept up with the newer generations. I assumed OP was going for the time honored tale of the Marowak, it is in Kanto after all.

Poppletron avatar
Poppletron
8 years ago

When I understood my mind was blown.