Blurred background image
5 min read

Of Time and Life

Author since 2014 1Story 0 Followers
Of Time and Life

Pardon the sloppy handwriting, but I’m doing this on the move.
We didn’t mean for it to happen this way. Bottom line is, we made a mistake, but there’s no going back now. The days, if you can call them that, have melted away into meaningless expressions of a life beyond our reach. Well, my reach. The others are gone now, leaving just me in this hell.
It didn’t seem like the best of ideas, sure, but in the moment it was pure curiosity that drove us to investigate the light coming from the woods behind the apartment complex. Pure curiosity that made me follow them to get closer to something bright enough to be nearly blinding during the daytime. Pure curiosity that instilled a desire to extend my hand and, ever so carefully, touch it.

It began to strobe, whatever “it” was, faster and faster… And then, everything was still. And when I say everything, I mean everything. Nothing moved. No birds chirped, no leaves settled, and no wind sighed through the trees. It was all very surreal. For a second we thought we had killed the forest, but we quickly ruled that out when we found a couple of squirrels hovering in mid-air, appearing to have just jumped off of a tree trunk. Time had stopped. We were all somewhat intelligent people, so, hey, it wasn’t that hard to figure out.
It was great at first, running and laughing through the stillness of rush hour, high-fiving the people who had been calling for taxis, and pretty much feeling invincible. It was like a dream come true, and for the first 15 minutes, we were loving every bit of it. That’s when we started dying. Shawn was first; He was in the back of the group, so all we heard was a faint slump, and there he was, pale and still. By the time we figured out what was happening, Katie was dead too. It was the air. It wasn’t moving.
Just like the leaves in the forest, the air-molecules hadn’t budged. The only reason we were still alive was because we unintentionally forced fresh oxygen down our throats by walking. Shawn had stopped, just for a few seconds, had passed out, and died. All it took for Katie was for her to step into the vacuum left by the group’s path to check on him, and the same thing happened to her. We panicked, and took off down the street, running like there was no tomorrow.
There was just the three of us left, Jason, Ashley, and myself. Jason kept saying that asphyxiation shouldn’t, couldn’t, happen that fast, and Ashley cried as we ran. I didn’t know what to think.

We kept moving, not really heading anywhere specific, but just as long as we were moving, we were safe. There was no way to tell how long it had been, but it must have been over 10 hours of wandering. Somehow we managed to arrive on one of the docks at the city’s beachfront. The pier went quite a ways off shore, and I didn’t even think about the consequences of running out of air out there. Maybe if I had, we could’ve…no. We were damned from the start.

Jason lead the way further out, hands in his pockets, but we all stopped short when we heard a loud crack. He slowly turned, a look of horror creeping onto his face. He opened his mouth to speak, but was cut off by the rotten planks beneath him collapsing from his weight. He should have hit the water and swam back to shore. We didn’t think about how dangerous our situation had become. How stupid it had been to go onto that pier. The name of the game had changed considerably in this twisted universe, and the water parted around his body seamlessly, forming a deep hole into which he fell. It was like nothing was there at all, like he was falling through air. We were already sprinting back towards the shore, and his screams followed us as he plummeted down into the dark. We were only fifty feet away from the hole when it suddenly went silent.

Ashley went soon after that, but ironically enough, it was from panicking, tripping on the stairs to the beach, and breaking her neck. I didn’t have time to stop and mourn them. I didn’t have time to do anything. I could only keep moving.

I began walking down 3rd street, looking at the people sitting frozen in restaurants, riding un-moving bicycles, walking to meet friends. I hated them. They were blissfully unaware of all that had happened. I wanted to stop and scream at them, I wanted to cry and beg for their help, I wanted to curl up into a ball and pray to God that I would wake up and it would be just another quickly-forgotten nightmare. But I didn’t do any of those things, I just kept walking. I must had been walking for a while, because I ended up miles down the highway.
I wanted to stop and face death, and just let it take me. But, I didn’t. I wanted to sprint back to the water and wade in until I couldn’t see or breathe anymore. But, I didn’t. I didn’t do anything but walk.
This is where I am now, presumably days later, walking off of the last of my energy with muscles screaming for me to stop. If I do stop to rest or sleep, I’ll die. I know that there’s no way for me to get out of here now. Searching for this long has left me with no hope of being back in my real life again.
I haven’t made my decision yet on whether I’ll be the one who ends it, but I imagine it can’t be far off anyway. If only I had more time…

Leave a comment

42 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
CommanderMeouch avatar
CommanderMeouch
6 years ago

Ohhh man I loved this!!!! I’ve ALWAYS wanted to be able to freeze time, but now I’m having second thoughts! haha. I won’t lie I was a little bit confused about the water thing, but for real doesn’t even matter cuz this story was dang good!

Omfi avatar
Omfi
7 years ago

Total mindfuck

Raely avatar
Raely
7 years ago

Ok so since [spoiler]time froze[/spoiler] doesn’t that mean that this could have happened thousands of times and no one would know

J
Jrhend84
8 years ago

Very unique idea! Tragic and helpless at the end.

B
brickdude10
8 years ago

Very good read. Kept me well interested.

Youruichi avatar
Youruichi
8 years ago

I didnt quite get [spoiler]why he died in the water that way[/spoiler] but overall really good. Especially the idea with the [spoiler]frozen air[/spoiler]

Killua1st avatar
Killua1st
8 years ago

It was alright but I didn’t care to much for it.

D
Danixkm
8 years ago

Great story. Flowed perfectly and an interesting, unique and clever idea.

D
dark_wizard
8 years ago

looking forward to seeing more of your works

Ms.Skellington avatar
Ms.Skellington
8 years ago

An amazing story ^~^ Well written and just amazing c: Keep it up ^.*

WondrousTraveler avatar
WondrousTraveler
8 years ago

This pasta is amazing! Its completely understandable for a mindfuck, even then, it still is a mindfuck, great job Jbrad!

SuicideSusan avatar
SuicideSusan
8 years ago

This was great! :):

xXLittleLovelyXx avatar
xXLittleLovelyXx
8 years ago

I loved this pasta just read it and it was one of the best I’ve read so far on this site. It was genius how [spoiler]the main protagonist was able to figure out the laws of freezing time and it’s results[/spoiler]. Great read man, BIG applause for the author on this!It was really my kind of Creepypasta!

IAmBread avatar
IAmBread
8 years ago

Man, that was good! Well explained, because pastas under the mindfuck tag often get confusing, but this one explained its self nicely! 10/10 breads.

PinkLemonade avatar
PinkLemonade
8 years ago

I adored the uniqueness of this story as well as the simplicity.

blueground avatar
blueground
8 years ago

what amazes me the most is that this is his first story. and the story is… is just great. it sad but not too sad and it just leaves you saying ‘wow’. great job Jbrad.

Erwinblackthorn avatar
Erwinblackthorn
8 years ago

I really liked this one, a bit familiar and different at the same time. The thing I liked the most was the very last line. It was perfect. The one thing I didn’t like was that it wasn’t longer, but that is only because I was enjoying it and it felt like things that are usually “showed” were “told”. Still, I think if you get anymore ideas about the [spoiler]frozen time[/spoiler], you should really turn it into a bigger story idea. I’d give it 7/10

S
SilentTornado
8 years ago

That was one of the best I have ever read.

H.I.V.E
H.I.V.E
8 years ago

Great Story Man 10/10 for sure!!

coldgarden avatar
coldgarden
8 years ago

Interesting story. It kept my attention. Creative tale, short and sweet