Sarah O’ Bannon

4.5 0
32.3K
25
1 min

Coffins used to be built with holes in them, attached to six feet of copper tubing and a bell. The tubing would allow air for victims buried under the mistaken impression they were dead. In a certain small town Harold, the local gravedigger, upon hearing a bell one night, went to go see if it was children pretending to be spirits. Sometimes it was also the wind. This time, it wasn’t either. A voice from below begged and pleaded to be unburied.

“Are you Sarah O’Bannon?” Harold asked.

“Yes!” The muffled voice asserted.

“You were born on September 17, 1827?”

“Yes!”

“The gravestone here says you died on February 20, 1857.”

“No, I’m alive, it was a mistake! Dig me up, set me free!”

“Sorry about this, ma’am,” Harold said, stepping on the bell to silence it and plugging up the copper tube with dirt. “But this is August. Whatever you are down there, you sure as hell ain’t alive no more, and you ain’t comin’ up.”

Leave a comment

25 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Guest
Guest
3 years ago

Harold be like…I ain’t got time for any of that creepy shit

Hufftimber
Hufftimber
6 years ago

It’s pretty good story

1
1encoded1
6 years ago

Well written but could have used a little more suspense

Miss Muffet
Miss Muffet
7 years ago

Rekt

Mrs.Eyeless avatar
Mrs.Eyeless
7 years ago

I feel like I would be Harold in that moment because, yeah.

DarkWorm avatar
DarkWorm
7 years ago

You’re off to a great start…

Malw4re avatar
Malw4re
7 years ago

GREAT STORY

Abellavita82 avatar
Abellavita82
8 years ago

I absolutely loved this pasta! Very creepy and would love to see a longer version of something like this if she had actually gotten out! But this is my favorite pasta yet!!!

UrlichSmash avatar
UrlichSmash
8 years ago

Delicious/10 quirky twist kinda kawaii

1
1fkedworld
8 years ago

Very good, to hit it in a few lines is hard.

HESPERIDES avatar
HESPERIDES
8 years ago

I don get it ._.

rCampbell18 avatar
rCampbell18
8 years ago

i have seen some minor hate comments but i would love to see this on everything i read! it was fantastic and if you wrote this at 6 you r very twisted js lol plus its true. even if she was in a coma she would have a heartbeat and still breathing plus she would still need food and water or she would die in like a month or two.

Raythian03 avatar
Raythian03
8 years ago

Good story, but I didn’t feel the chill or the fright. This is great, I love it, but terror is an important part of the story.

patrick
patrick
8 years ago

I found that the pacing of this pasta was a little tricky. On the one hand it could have been written a bit more poetically, micropastas tend to be pretty linguistically tight. On the other I really liked the casual nature of the narration and the abruptness of the ending. I love it as is and would never suggest a change but in future, when you’re punching as hard as you are with a good ending, you can afford to lean on it a touch more as a punchline. brah-vo!

blacknumber1 avatar
blacknumber1
9 years ago

Love the concept but you could have taken more time to develop the suspense. Writing short pastas is very difficult to pull off. Especially those that stay with you long after they’ve been read. You had the right idea. Rewrite it, don’t rush it. You have a spark with this one… Light the fire.

Autumn
Autumn
9 years ago

This is absolutely great. Had to read it to my entire family. 10/10!

xSemira avatar
xSemira
9 years ago

Not the twist I was hoping. Plus it’s too short. If this was somehow elaborated on and suspense was built up (heavily) it could have at least been a 3 star story.

P
PolisKanin
9 years ago

This is stupid. I made up stuff like this when I was 6.

D
Deth100
10 years ago

A classic of a smart man. Love this story good post!

S
sociopath14
10 years ago

My favorite story on here! 😀 😀 😀 If only you could favorite something more than once! It looks like you have created one of those rare stories that you either utterly LOVE or intensely hate.