You’re Not Scared, Right?

4.3 0
12.6K
31
6 min

You are lying in your bed, the dull whirring of your air conditioner is the only thing separating you from total silence. You know, that particular silence that is so heavy, and so thick, it’s almost the equivalent of a loud noise itself? The kind of silence where you could hear a pin drop three rooms away in; the kind of silence that fills your ears with the sound of your own heartbeat as your ear presses against your pillow. That kind of silence.

The dull whirring is the only noise you can hear, a noise that typically goes unnoticed, until it is the only noise present. It’s comforting, whether you realize it or not. A sort of white noise. But suddenly, your room is back at the temperature specified on the thermostat, and the whirring comes to a stop, as the vent makes a dull clang. To your misfortune, you are not yet asleep, and the silence sets in.
You should be comforted by the knowledge that you could hear anything and everything in your surroundings; making up for the lack of vision provided by the darkness. But you aren’t. It’s this very environment that sets you on edge, causes your heart to beat a bit faster, makes your body tense without explanation, and that makes you aware when you are not alone.

But you are alone right? You’ve been laying there with your eyes closed for almost 15 minutes now, and you made sure everything was normal in your room before you turned off the light; you’re a smart one. All those Facebook quizzes you took have just reinforced what you already know, if you were in a horror movie, you’d survive until the end. You’ve even made a carefully laid plan of what you would do in any of the situations you’ve read about in creepypastas. But that stuff is just nonsense anyway, right?

You aren’t scared. Or at least that’s what you keep telling yourself.

But wait… what was that? Was that the rustling of fabric? But, you didn’t shift in your bed, or make any movement. Did you make that noise? No, you couldn’t have. You’re paralyzed your bed, stiff with an unease that was not present until these very moments. You must have imagined it…you must have.

You roll over to face the wall. Out of sight, out of mind. If there’s something in the room with you, it will just have to accept that you are much to tired to deal with it at the moment. You’re still stricken with uneasiness as you hear rustling again. This time, the rustling is accompanied by a soft thud on the ground.

Your heart seizes in your chest… did you really just hear that? No no, you’ve just gotten yourself worked up about nothing. You really should stop play horror survival games so late at night, it’s messing with your brain. You’re a rational person, stop acting so childish and just fall asleep already.

You close your eyes tightly, silently hoping sleep would whisk you away soon. You’re practically begging for the safety of the nonexistent dreamworld of your own creation. You’re running away in a sense; but there’s nothing there… right? You’re just tired. I know, I know.

As your eyes are clinched tightly shut, you become aware that no matter how much you want to, you can no longer move your arms and legs. Come on now, are you really letting this get to you? What are you? 12 years old? Suck it up and fall asleep already.

Now, more tense than ever, that unnerving sound echoes across the room again. The rustling of fabric, followed by a soft thud on the ground. Unwittingly, you’re holding your breath now, eyes shut as tightly as possible. You have childish urge to pull the blanket over your head. You’re imagining it all! It’s all in your head; I thought you were better than this.

You heart is pounding loudly in your ears now, but not loudly enough to drown out the now repetitive sound approaching from across the room. What’s that rustling!? Maybe you left some paper on the ground. That has to be it! And that thumping? Probably the cat, or the dog, or something. They probably ran in when you weren’t looking before you closed your door. Yeah, you’re just paranoid.

The noise is now within a foot of your bed, and with your back to it, you don’t dare turn around to investigate, not that it’d do much good; the only light in your room is the dull glow of your cell phone on the nightstand next to you, you plugged it in before crawled into bed remember? But you don’t dare turn around and look; there’s nothing there anyway.

Minutes that feel like hours pass as you face your wall, stiff as a board, unable to will your uncooperative body to move. You haven’t heard the noises in a while now, not since it reached the edge of your bed. You know there’s nothing there you silly. It’s this silence. It’s messing with you. You really should have turned on some music or something before you went to bed. Oh well, maybe next time.

Suddenly, a familiar clang echoes through the room, followed by that familiar whirring. You exhale deeply, your body relaxing as you are flooded with relief. Thank God that’s over, now you can finally sleep in peace. That silence was really getting to you. You roll over and open your eyes to check the time on your lit cell phone, it must have been at least an hour since you
you first went to bed.

You are greeted face to face with his ear to ear grin. Dimly lit sockets where eyes once resided stare intently at you.

“Ah, I see you’re still awake.”

Leave a comment

31 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
vecronatt avatar
vecronatt
5 years ago

This was actually amazing, It relates so much to me but one thing, you misspelled alot of things in here, but its ok , keep this was a great flavor of pasta, would like to taste more

jethrodbear avatar
jethrodbear
5 years ago

[spoiler]not as good as who was phone[/spoiler]

CommanderMeouch avatar
CommanderMeouch
6 years ago

This story is amazing. I have gone through nights like this so many times (without the ending, obviously) and it describes perfectly that irrational fear you hear at a strange noise. I loved this.

OcelotRyuu avatar
OcelotRyuu
6 years ago

[spoiler]*punches the thing in the nose* “you’re **** right I’m still awake. How the **** is anyone supposed to sleep with all that ******* racket you’re making?!? *Picks up knife* NOONE *stab* DISTURBS *stab* MY *stab* SLEEP! *stab stab stab stab stab* *throws down knife and gets back in bed* ” You messed with the wrong psychopath”.[/spoiler]

Omfi avatar
Omfi
6 years ago

Great build up keep the good work up 10/10

S
SaturnV
7 years ago

That. Was tasty. 5/5
Nice job building the mood, I could really feel the tension.

kitcharizard avatar
kitcharizard
7 years ago

Excellent storyline! I read it in absolute silence, too, lol!

GoldenWolve01 avatar
GoldenWolve01
8 years ago

This Creepypasta story was AWESOME!!! I give it a 5/5! When i was reading this story i could hear my own heart beating and nothing but quietness… It felt like i was in the story and it gave me shivers behind my back. Great Job!

rory
rory
8 years ago

well good thing i don’t have central air that turns off but stays on all night but keeps room at steady temp and i sleep listing to the radio so omg weird noise outside my window halp lolz just joking stupid overactive imagination i’m paranoid i should never have come onto this sight no i wont sleep because i read this abandoned by Disney and Squidward’s Suicide no sleeping for whole week for me good morning to all while your dreaming i will be panicking over every little sound lolz i make chicken little and the scardey lion from the wised of oz look as brave if not braver then the terminator

smittysmyth avatar
smittysmyth
8 years ago

Well done.
Relatable with the I’m-trying-to-sleep-but-my-mind-is-a-horror-movie routine, with a killer ending that was lead up to in an effective way.

millieredbird avatar
millieredbird
8 years ago

Some bad word use now and then – wrong spelling, missing words or just general sentamce structure issues – but this was ACE!! Loved it!!

KagamiHebi avatar
KagamiHebi
8 years ago

Welp! I’m ready for ya ghosty goo’s!

L

wow this was actualy good i didn’t have high hopes after i read your story WHO WAS PHONE but bravo

PunkKawaii avatar
PunkKawaii
8 years ago

CreepsMcPasta did a great reading of this. Gave me chills.

Natsu._.Omg avatar
Natsu._.Omg
8 years ago

…..I was in the exact same situation as I was reading this and I was like Oh Hell no! oh crap crap crap crap I’m not turning around to check my phone and I pulled the blankets over my head , this is a great one, my favorite so far…and creepy as hell, I still have goosebumps lol

CaptainObvious avatar
CaptainObvious
8 years ago

[spoiler]“Ah, I see you’re still awake.[/spoiler] Absolutely terrifying. The buildup was very nice, I saw no grammar mistakes either. Nice work overall.

Minekratchit avatar
Minekratchit
9 years ago

I am Mk, slayer of the creepypastas. i will not rest (thats a lie) until they are all dead. i will start with the rake.

PastaFurry avatar
PastaFurry
9 years ago

Amazingly well written, and I love the ending! By far one of my favorite pastas!

DeadlyRoses avatar
DeadlyRoses
9 years ago

Very well written, I loved it!

vishussvixen avatar
vishussvixen
9 years ago

it’s beautiful and ironic that half the people who are reading this right now are dealing with chronic insomnia, sleep apnea and/or mourning over a loved one. makes it all the more real on three possible levels. very clever. must remind myself, i am an atheist.